Thursday 19 January 2012

A grace she has earned......

With each piece of stemware, china, candle, and trinket that was unwrapped from its' travels,a vibrant, worldly and full life unfolded before me. Catherine's beautiful journey to where she is today was documented by the many pieces of souvenirs she's collected along the way. Spending a mere 4 hours with her taught me so much about the heartache and love that followed Catherine. Her home was wiped off the map by Hurricane Charlie a month after she lost her husband, and she managed to muster through the devastation and heartache with true grace. Certain photos and objects brought such joy to her as she reminisced how each item dignified her life time and time again.Catherine was reading her life story to me, to which I saw a sadness and resignation over most of it being over, and now it was a matter of watching the days turn to nights and minutes unfolding into hours. I cleary saw how strong and independant she had thought herself, but no such assurance displayed itself today.She often tried convincing herself that life is good no matter her place in it, yet the years had diminished a confidence and pride she onced carried. A very real sadness lie vigilant as it tried to convince Catherine of her diminished worth, a worth that often accompanies the aged and alone. Too often our seniors devalue their importance and begin to prematurely wither along with their bodies.Catherine has nothing to apologize for. She is a mother, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a grandmother, a professional, a friend and a warrior.There isn't enough time for me to convince Catherine of her continued worth to so many who love her dearly.She mustn't forget her significant place in this world, and she needs to know that her spirit would be truly missed by those that have loved her forever...and by us lucky few that spend but a brief time with her. I can't expect more time with Catherine than what it allotted us, but I can expect that the hugs we exchange last our lifetimes. By the end of my earthly stay, I can only hope I attain half the grace and courage that Catherine carries. Tomorrow I fear is our last day together, for the boxes will be discarded, her little space made cosy, the clutter from her move removed,and my services no longer needed. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to meet Miss Catherine, and hopefully our short friendship will sustain a lifetime....

No comments:

Post a Comment